The South West Sydney Academy of Sport (SWSAS) implements high performance programs for talent identified athletes from South Western Sydney across a number of sports. The academy implements an AFL Female Development Pathway program in association with GWS Giants AFL. The focus of the program is on high standards of individual performance and excellence based on a solid platform of skill development. The program is a link in the AFL Female development pathway, linking club athletes to state and national programs.
- SWSAS nominations period will open in September 2021 for U14s, U/16s and U/18s 2022 squads.
- Be between the ages of 13 - 18 during the scholarship i.e. born in 2004 - 2009
- Athletes must reside or attend school or compete for a sporting club within the defined local government areas of the Regional Academy zones serviced by SWSAS
- Athletes must be committed to progressing to higher representation within the sport of AFL
- Athletes must be a member of an AFL NSW registered AFL club
- Athletes must be committed to attending all coaching/training, education sessions and camps. We understand that from time to time athletes may be unable to attend sessions due to illness, holiday commitments or competing at a higher level within school sport etc. Prior arrangement must be sort and approved from SWSAS to be absent from any sessions.
Trial date: TBC for 2022 program
Trials will include:
- Sports Science Testing Session (AFL Combine)
- AFL specific skills and match play
In selecting the Athletes that will hold scholarships within the 2022 SWSAS AFL pathway programs, SWSAS is seeking to lay the foundations for the development and emergence of quality Athletes that will progress to the highest level of participation in the sport. With the program content featuring skills and technical development opportunities, athlete education, sports science and fitness elements, the program is a comprehensive introduction to what will be required at the elite levels of the sport.