The South West Sydney Academy of Sport, in partnership with Macarthur BMX accepts scholarship nominations from female and male riders seeking a position within the Academy's BMX program. The Academy is offering local riders' access to a camp-based program; focusing on holistic individual skill development, whilst delivering the many benefits of being part of a squad.
Athlete Nominations Closing Date: Now closed for 2020/21 program year.
Trials Date: Friday 20 November 2020
Trials Time: 6pm Arrival for 6:30pm start, with an approximate 8pm finish time.
To be eligible Athletes must be:
- Aged 14 - 18 years in 2021 (born 2003 - 2007)
- Reside, attend school, or compete for an affiliate sporting club within the local government Council boundaries of Campbelltown, Camden, Liverpool & Wollondilly.
- Be a current registered member of a BMX club within the region (or agree to join)
- Athletes must show a keen commitment to training and furthering their competition experience.
- Athletes must be committed to attending all coaching / training education sessions and camps. We understand that from time to time athletes may be unable to attend sessions due to illness, holiday commitments or competing at a higher level within school sport etc. In this case prior arrangement must be organised and approved from SWSAS to be absent from any sessions.
- Provide a high-quality development program opportunity for Athletes looking to gain access to additional training - education programs and enhance representative honors.
- Participate in a high-quality program designed to complement the existing representative calendar laying the foundations for riders moving into the pro classes. The conclusion of this program will be the NSW State Titles 2021.
This program will provide valuable experience; bringing fun and comradery to sport. Riders will have the opportunity to ride a variety of tracks with selected riders using 8m start hills and riding pro straights. Our tours will feature tracks such as Blue Mountains, Bathurst, Penrith, Sleeman, Redlands, Bayside, Hawkesbury, Penrith, Maitland, Lake Macquarie, Terrigal and San Remo. (TBC)
- Introduction to 8m Hill
- Introduction to Pro Straights
- Introduction to Strength & Conditioning Training Required for Elite Athletes
- Introduction to Injury Management
- Increase Knowledge of Race Tactics
- Advanced Cornering Techniques
- Riding in a Pack
- Advanced Jumping Techniques
- Advanced Manualling Techniques
- Race Craft: Offensive & Defensive
- Training Techniques
- Travelling for Events
- Race Preparation
- A Scholarship levy of $300.00 GST inclusive will be applicable to all selected athletes.
- A uniform including a competition jersey, polo shirt, training shorts, hoodie and a Richardson cap will be provided as part of the overall program.
- All athlete levies must be paid in full within 30 days of recieving the Scholarship Agreement invoice from the Academy, or the scholarship offer will be automatically withdrawn; unless agreed Board of Management arrangements have been confirmed.
- Note: Additional costs may be incurred to cover some transport/accommodation costs.
- It is proposed that the Academy BMX camp, will this year be a 3-day camp. Although subsidised this camp will likely incur an additional cost to riders' families of between $600 - $800 (final costs TBC prior to camp dates being announced)
- The SWSAS / Macarthur BMX partnership will deliver camp subsides to riders in the program. We will notify where this is to be applied once we confirm our schedule.
The Academy reserves the right to accept or reject any athlete nomination based on its own selection criteria. Athletes submitting a nomination for inclusion in the Academy BMX scholarship program are required to acknowledge that the acceptance for their nomination will be at the sole discretion of the Academy. Scholarships are not in the form of a monetary sum, but rather enable athletes to participate in the Academy program which will provide training workshops, camps and competition opportunities. These workshops include access to high level coaching, analysis of technique, sports science testing, sport psychology, nutrition, drugs in sport awareness, and safe use of social media.