Paralympics Australia (PA) is partnering with the nine NSW Regional Academies of Sport (RASi) to identify and support talented Para-athletes across regional NSW, as part of the NSW Regional Academies of Sport - Para-sport Program.
What is the NSW RAS Para-Sport Program?
The program focuses on removing barriers for Para-athletes in regional areas by offering them Individual Memberships to their respective RAS, and provide additional support from PA.
Participants will be able to access strength & conditioning support and education, whilst also receiving additional targeted development opportunities.
The program will run from October 2023 to June 2024.
Successful athletes will receive:
Each Para-athlete selected for this program will receive the following baseline support and benefits through their RAS between October 2023 and June 2024.
- Individual Membership at a RAS
- RAS Uniform
- Access to strength and conditioning support
- Access to a range of Athlete Education programs
- Connection to local health providers (e.g physios) or provide discounts to services where possible*
- Connection, where appropriate, to sport-specific programs offered by the RAS*
- Connection to High Performance Coaches within their sport*
- Connection to Paralympians*
* Please note the nature of support may vary between academies and be dependent on each sport and athlete’s individual needs.
In order to be eligible for support through this program, an athlete must;
- Be representing one (or more) of the 28 Para-sports and events competed at the Paralympic Games - https://www.paralympic.org.au/play-para-sport/
- Have an eligible physical, vision, and/or intellectual impairment for Para-sport, based on previous classification - https://www.paralympic.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/PA_Para-Sport_WhatImpairments_A4_new_May23.pdf
- Be representing at a state or national level and meet minimum-level performance outcomes within their Para-sport or show appropriate talent potential as determined by their sport and PA
- Be turning 13-18 years of age in 2024* (*Due to the nature of Para-sport and some athletes acquiring their impairment after the age of 18, special consideration may be given to athletes outside the eligible age, subject to the approval of RAS in consultation with PA).
- Must be living or attending school within a catchment area of the RAS while the program is being conducted.
Expression of Interest - Due 30th August 2023
To be considered for the NSW Regional Academies of Sport - Para-sport Program, complete the Expression of Interest before the closing date of Wednesday 30th August 2023, at 5pm.
Please note: completing this EOI does not guarantee any support from the program, successful candidates will be determined by the respective NSO, PA, and RAS.