The South Sydney Academy of Sport program provides high performance training opportunities for talented young athletes in the South West Sydney region. In the Camden, Campbelltown, Liverpool and Wollondilly LGA's.
In partnership with Netball NSW the program provides opportunities for pre-elite netballers in the areas of technical skill, education and personal development, preparing athletes for the next level of elite sport representation.
To view more on our Netball program information, click on the drop down headings below.
- Q: Program Overview +
The South Sydney Academy of Sport's Netball Program provides high performance training opportunities for talented young athletes in the south west Sydney region. In partnership with Netball NSW (NNSW) the program provides opportunities for pre-elite netballers in the areas of technical skill, education and personal development, preparing athletes for the next level of elite sport representation.
The program generally runs from November to September the following year in 2 (10 week) blocks.
- Block 1 - November to April (Break over Christmas and New Year)
- Off Block - May to July
- Block 2 - July to September
The Netball program offer multiple development competition opportunities with a Netball NSW High Performance weekend camp in March, Academy Games in April and and Academy Challenge Camp in September. Each of these camps offer athletes unique opportunities to develop their skills in netball, their personal growth and their knowledge of what it means to be being a holistic netball athlete.
The Netball program also starts with an orientation camp each year. Every year is different and sets the academies expectations, vision, mission and values.
- Q: Selection Process +
To be eligible to trial the following criterion applies:
- Nominations received on the authorised nomination form.
- Born between 2006 and 2007 that is between 15 and 16 years of age, in 2022.
- All athletes nominating for an Academy scholarship must reside within the defined Council Local Government boundaries of Campbelltown, Camden, Liverpool, and Wollondilly.
- Must be a current financial member of Netball NSW.
- A maximum of 4 train-on positions may be offered, should suitable athletes be available. These positions are full scholarship positions. Noting - A maximum of 24 athletes will participate in certain additional cost events. Our train-on athletes may be offered a position on these tours in certain circumstances.
- Final athlete selections will be sanctioned by Netball NSW.
- Q: Athlete Benefits +
- The Academy program is designed to complement the demands of club and association representation. Netball NSW also provide high level coaching opportunities to compliment the programs skill and technical development components.
- The aim of the program is to develop athletes to a level suitable for state selection.
- Athletes will have the opportunity to be selected to compete in the ClubsNSW Academy Games, Netball NSW High Performance Camp, and the Academy Challenge.
- Strength and Conditioning Introduction, at home programming and expert coaching through SWSAS partner providers in the fitness industry.
- Athlete Sports Education in the form of online webinars, face to face seminars, interactive practical workshops (often at camps) and ongoing through the ClubsNSW education framework delivered by all regional academies of sport.
- Athlete well being support through our support services network including, sports chaplaincy Australia, make good choices program, head space and much more...
- Individual skill development through high level coaches selected by SWSAS and Netball NSW, throughout the program, athletes will have the opportunities to be coached by some of the best netball coaches in NSW, with guest coaching appearances from Netball NSW, GWS Giants, and more...
- Past SWSAS Netball and non-netball Athletes feature at training and events from time to time to help offer advice and pathways learning for every athlete in the academy.
- Finally, a huge opportunity to be a part of a squad and program like no other in the netball pathways model. Being a part of the South West Sydney Academy of Sport Netball Program will offer new and challenging methods each athlete can use as tools on and off the court for many years to come.
- Q: Scholarship Levy +
- A joining levy of $400 GST inclusive will be applicable to ALL successful athletes for our 25th anniversary year as an academy.
- An all NEW academy uniform including a sublimated polo shirt, training shorts, full tracksuit, training singlet, and visor will be provided as part of the overall program, made by our wonderful uniform suppliers Aceit.
- Note: Additional items such as SWSAS Hoodies, ankle socks, back pack, sports bag, caps and more will be available for purchase at an additional cost.
- All Athlete levies must be paid in full within 14 days of selection, or the scholarship offer may be withdrawn; unless agreed Board of Management arrangements have been confirmed.
- The Academy squad will compete in additional competitions/camps throughout the program where additional costs/levies may be incurred. Each camp levy is calculated based on the required costs to run the camp and may vary from year to year.
- Q: View Squad List +
Our 2020 2021 Squad:
Selected Umpiring Athletes
- Hannah Green
- Lauren Kaye
- Teagan Lewis
Selected Playing Athletes
- Aaliyah Marsh
- Abbey Finlay
- Abby Wijesekera
- Amy Younie
- Annelise Hall
- Arielanna Lole
- Ashley Vasquez
- Belle Watene
- Eliana Sapone
- Ellie Hart
- Hinemoa Boylan
- Ilori Platten
- Imogen Nies
- Isabella Barna
- Jade Vandersaag
- Janita Leota-Brown
- Katarina Sincek
- Kelis Ogle
- Liesl Hopoate
- Lilyana Talanoa
- Nevaeh Matenga
- P.Margaret Lee
- Siulolo Richter
- Tara -Jade Ottmann
- Q: View Coaching Staff +
Coaching Staff for 2021 2022 will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
Current Coaching Staff for 2020 2021
Mentor Coaches: Van Nguyen and Lisa Filby
Co-Head Coach: Diana Benioni
Co-Head Coach: Tenille Rowley
Squad Manager: Jan Cleary
Umpire Mentor: Michelle McNamara
Umpire Mentor Assistant: Sarah McNamara
Assistant Coach: Samantha Garrido
Assistant Coach: Michael Seery
Assistant Coach: Vicki Wong
Apprentice Coach: Selesitina Savae