The South West Sydney Academy of Sport (SWSAS) implements high performance programs for talent identified athletes from South Western Sydney across a number of sports. The focus of our AFLW program is on high standards of individual performance and excellence based on a solid platform of skill development, sports science strength and conditioning, athlete sports education and development competition. The program is a link in the AFL Female development pathway, linking club athletes to state and national programs.
To view more on our AFLW program information, click on the drop down headings below.
- Q: Nominations and Trials +
For the 2021 2022 Program are NOW OPEN until 15 November 2021. Athletes can APPLY HERE
Trials 2021 - 2022:
Date: November 22, 2021
Time: 6:30pm start (please arrive 15 minutes early) and 8pm finish.
Location: Peter Miller Park, Casula
A complete pathways and science based AFL Combine will be included in the trials and selection process. These results can be used to help athletes know where they currently sit amongst their peers, as well as in the development pathways as the tests are run by accredited sports scientists back by AFL NSW/ACT standards.
SWSAS place these results through each of the athletes own portal within our own SWSAS Sportly App used for all strength and conditioning, skill, speed and agility programming throughout the year.
AFLW Combine will include:
- Vertical Jump Testing
- 3 step vertical jump test
- 20m sprint testing (with light gates)
- 40m sprint testing (with light gates)
- Illinois agility test
- 2km time trial (on grass)
Each athlete successful in receiving a SWSAS scholarship will also be given extensive strength and conditioning programming, functional movement analysis and more through the year.
This program will compliment those athletes in the GWS Giants Academy and local clubs, serving as a preseason for 2022 Representation and Club starting times. Meaning, yes athletes can do both and we encourage this regular training to develop their skills allowing athletes the best chance in progressing along the AFL pathways. We often see those who gain positions in premier leagues academies such as GWS are those who apply themselves to training, strength and conditioning, monitor their loading, recovery and maintain adequate nutritional needs. These are all aspects of being a holistic athlete that SWSAS teaches each and every year.
Will take place on a Monday night, not clashing with any other training commitments. Athlete load and well being will be monitored on a weekly basis and kept in line with each individual athletes performance outcomes. This is all easily done and taught to athletes through our very own SWSAS Sportly.me App
- Q: Program Overview +
The South West Sydney Academy of Sport (SWSAS) implements high performance programs for talent identified athletes from South Western Sydney across a number of sports. The focus of the program is on high standards of individual performance and excellence based on a solid platform of skill development. The program is a link in the AFLW pathway, linking club athletes to state and national programs.
The 2021 2022 AFL Women's program this year will feature a variety of development opportunities building on a successful 2020 2021. An orientation camp later this year will kick the program off heading to the Sand Dunes in Cronulla whereby athletes will be inducted to the academy, have their mission, goals and values tested and get to know each other as a unique squad based program.
The academies focus is on developing AFLW athletes in a holistic manner. Meaning they will learn the importance of Nutrition, Resilience, Sports Psychology, Athlete Well Being, Strength and Conditioning and much more...
Furthermore, as we continue to align our program will the Queanbeyan Tigers, an overnight trip down to Canberra will again feature in this years program (February 2022).
A GST inclusive levy of $400-00 will be applicable to ALL successful athletes for the 25th anniversary year of the academy (2022).
- All athlete levies must be paid in full within 14 days of selection, or the scholarship offer may be withdrawn; unless agreed Board of Management arrangements have been confirmed. (Payment Plans and Service NSW - Active Kids Vouchers are available to help with the payment of levies)
- The Academy squad may compete in additional competition (such as Inter Academy Match play) within the program. Camp levies may be applied to cover some costs of travel, accommodation, food and competition entry fees.
- Optional Uniform may also be purchased from SWSAS, for example Hoodies, Socks, and extra training T-Shirts.
- Acknowledging that Girls playing competition AFL at a high level is relatively new; we are encouraging athletes from all sports to nominate. In 2021 girls who had previously played a variety of other sports had remarkable levels of success.
- Q: Selection Process +
The Academy applies strict criterion to the selection process for all athlete development programs. This selection criterion comprises sport specific requirements developed in collaboration with the relevant State Sporting Organisation.
The Academy reserves the right to accept or reject any athlete nomination based on its selection criterion. All athletes submitting forms for inclusion in Academy programs are required to acknowledge that the acceptance of their nomination will be at the sole discretion of the Academy.
Athletes eligible for our 2021 2022 program are:
- U14 - Born in 2008 or 2009 Athletes turning age 13 and 14 in 2022
- U16 - Born in 2006 or 2007 Athletes turning age 15 and 16 in 2022
- U17 - Born in 2005 Athletes turning 17 in 2022
2021 2022 program trials will be held on the following dates:
- Physical Testing Session and AFLW Skills Trial - 5:30pm - 7:30pm on Monday (date TBC) at Peter Miller Oval, Casual NSW
- Following the assessment session/s, and after consideration of all information provided by applicants, athletes will be selected for the squad. All nominees will be advised of selections.
- Successful athletes (parents/guardians) will be provided with full scholarship agreement documents and will be required to attend a program induction meeting.
- Selection will be confirmed upon acceptance and signing of the scholarship agreement documentation by the athlete and the athlete's parents/guardians.
- Q: View Squad List +
2021 2022 Squads are yet to be announced.
Congratulations to our 2020 2021 AFLW Squads!
Alexis M F Paulo
Victoria Loi Galualii
- Q: Coaching Staff +
TBC for 2021 2022